Hugh Sasse wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Robert Klemme wrote:
>

>>If Hugh is using ActiveRecord intensively with a database then it's most
>>likely that he'll see no positiv performance effect from compiling it with
>>more aggressive optimization.
>>
>>In fact it's likely that careful optimization on the database side will
>>yield better results.  This can be as easy as creating some indexes - but
>>might be much more complicated - depending on the bottleneck.  (Often it's
>>IO and this might have several reasons, from sub optimal execution plans
>>to slow disks / controllers.)
>>

> At the moment my script to populate the tables is taking about an
> hour.  Anyway it's mostly ruby I think, because it spends most of
> the time setting up the arrays before it populates the db with them.

I had similar problems with ActiveRecord and large datasets. Its slow. I wrote a active record
extension (haven't released yet, I am trying to figure out how-to best release....as plugin, or as
patch to rubyonrails dev team). It makes large dataset entry 10 times faster. If you like I can
email you privately the code and see if it helps you.

Zach