On 11/28/05, Dab <dabhar1959 / hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for looking!
>
> I'm brand new to programming and had just decided to learn Java as a
> first language, then stumbled accross Ruby, which seems far simpler to
> learn, but doesn't seem to have as many resources/books etc.

I learned Java first.   And I never. Ever. Ever. want to write it again.
Though it does offer a fair balance for some very different methodologies.

In a sense, Java will enlighten you on just WHY ruby is so much nicer
to work with (in most cases).

> I want to eventually write a Windows program for an Apartment
> Management company that will keep track of their buildings
> tenants....all their info, lockers, parking stalls, rental monies
> owing, that sort of thing.
>
> Will Ruby lead me to being able to do that eventually? I don't want,
> nor can afford, to use any programs like Visual Basic that cost wad's
> of money. And, I especially like the Open Source/Free program concepts
> and community atmospheres.

Yes... that sounds like an ideal RoR project, as others have mentioned.

Also, the Free Software community is alive and well in Ruby, though...
speaking too loudly about the GPL might get a few fingers chopped off.
 ( I seem to be one of the few FSF supporters around here who believes
Stallman is right.   But maybe that's just because of all those email
fights I had with him when he made me feel bad ;) )

> What do you think?

Learn both.   Go as far as you have to in Java and as far as you can in Ruby. :)
A warm welcome to you, being a ruby nuby is less scary that most other
languages, so you'll probably enjoy your stay. :)