Dirk Meijer wrote:
> hi everyone!
> here's my problem..
> Ruby's great (not really a problem) and i've learnt quite a bit, produced
> four fairly small programs and now i want to move on, i want to grow beyond
> console windows, into the real application world..
> but i don't know which way to go..
> i've considered rails, but i don't really like web development, so i figured
> i might want to learn a gui, but i don't know which to chose, i failed with
> tk, and i'm wondering what you would recommend...
> greetings, Dirk.

What's wrong with console apps? I've made a good living programming for
22 years and never wrote a web app or a GUI app. Think engineering and
math apps. Think reporting applications. Servers. Programs that convert
data in format A to format B.

Find an itch and write a program to scratch it. 4+ years ago I wanted to
write a web-based photo gallery application as a way to learn Ruby. The
only problem was there was no image manipulation library for Ruby, so I
sat down and started writing RMagick to be an interface between Ruby and
ImageMagick.

Never did write the photo gallery.