Hugh Sasse <hgs / dmu.ac.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
>
>> > At the moment my script to populate the tables is taking about an
>> > hour.  Anyway it's mostly ruby I think, because it spends most of
>> > the time setting up the arrays before it populates the db with them.
>>
>> Do you use transactions correctly?
>
> I've only got one process accessing the db at the moment.  If you've
> got pointers on common errors, misconceptions, etc I'd be glad to
> learn about them.   So I suppose that answer is likely to be "no"
> :-)

If you need to INSERT bigger chunks of data, put it in an transaction
so it will write the data to disk only once.  If you need to insert
even bigger amounts of data, using COPY (usage depends on your
database) can speed things up a lot too.  It may be helpful to add
indexes after importing the data.