Hi --

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, anne001 wrote:

> Thank you so much!
>
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/concepts/
> What Is an Object?
> An object is a software bundle of related variables and methods.
>
> What Is a Message?
> Software objects interact and communicate with each other using
> messages.
>
> object communication through messages seems at the core of OOP, and yet
> "observer" is not in my sams teach yourself ruby's index, it is only in
> the reference section of programming ruby, 2nd edition. Same for send
> which seems key to the example.
>
> Why is something which is at the heart of OOP so little explained? I am
> baffled.

The Observable module is a rather specialized tool, and not at all at
the heart of Ruby's OO model.  The fact that Ruby is all about message
sending is manifested every time you see this:

   object.message

That's one object sending a message to another object.  I think you'll
find plenty of examples of that in "Teach Yourself Ruby" :-)

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net