danyc wrote:
> There has been some questions/comments about how to get ruby 'accepted'
> in your work environment.  I was hoping to use the 'build it and they
> will come approach'.  I.e. code some utilities to help in job function.
>   In order to be successful, not only the utilities need to be useful,
> but 'easy' to distribute.  The utilities would be very 'corporate'
> specific.  I would not need (and in some cases, not want) them to be
> 'publicly available.  I guess the gem could be 'distributed' on a
> private system, but then why 'polute' the gem 'index/repository' with
> those entries.
>
> Is is currently possible to create/setup a hierarchy.  I would like to
> use standard gem commands that would 'query' a private server first, but
> that could 'redirect' the query to the 'public' gem site, if query does
> not match on the private server.

Yes, it is easy to setup a private gem server.  See
http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/18#page81 for details.

To use your own repository, just specify the --source parameter on the
gem command line to  point to your URL you have setup.

Currently, RubyGems will attempt to satisfy all of its dependencies from
a single source.  This limitation will be removed in the future.

-- Jim Weirich