Ted Dennison wrote:
> Interestingly, in urban America lately thev'e been doing this by *blending* the
> first names of samed-sex grandparents on either parent's side. For instance, a
> girl who has grandmothers named Wanda and Latisha might be named "Latwanda".
> After a few generations of this you get some pretty odd-looking names. :-)

What my wife and I decided to do was give boys my surname and give girls
hers (which has made my father quite cross since we stopped at one
daughter, but hey dad, it's the genes that count...)

The reason my wife kept her maiden name is partly to do with her job
(head of the English dept. in a local school, so she didn't want to
be "Mrs. English") and partly to do with her surname (Lord) which we
couldn't even double-barrel (English-Lord? Lord-English?)

I wonder how much further off-topic this thread can go? :-)

 John English              | mailto:je / brighton.ac.uk
 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk