Dear list,

A common Ruby idiom seems to be something like
  if PLATFORM =~ /mswin32/
    # do windows stuff
  end

Variations include matching for /mswin/.

Neither of those works on the mingw32 PLATFORM (i386-mingw32).

As a consequence of fixing this in a lot of libraries all the time I
would like to create a small library that permits
  Platform.windows?
  Platform.unix?
tests. To that end, I would need a complete collection of those PLATFORM
strings and how to classify them. I ask you all to send me:
  a) output of PLATFORM on your .. well.. platform
  b) a short description of that very same.

I will gather all of those emails and create said minimal library.
Comments on interface propositions are also welcome.

Thank you all in advance.
kaspar

---
code manufacture & ruby lab at http://www.tua.ch/ruby