On 22 Nov 2005, at 13:50, Michal Suchanek wrote:

> On 11/21/05, Rawn027 <Rawn027 / gmail.com> wrote:
>> I get an error saying that ruby.h cannot be found please install dev
>> tools but i have dev tools installed and ruby.h is there when i use
>> locate. I have no idea how to fix this, did 10.4.3 fix the problems
>> previously there with 10.4's broken ruby? Can I compile my own and
>> have
>> it work? Where can I go from here because I was told to use the ruby
>> howto on technoblog.
>
> Hello
>
> You can install fink, and use the fink package of ruby. Since ruby
> does need some tweaking to build on OS X you should probably try
> installing some package management system (fink, darwinports,
> gentoo,..) that provides a collection of patches that makes ruby work
> (more or less) seamlessly on OS X.
>
> hth
>
> Michal

Ruby is trivial to install on OS X without using fink and friends.

Assuming you have downloaded it already, navigate to the folder
within a terminal window.
Type (as per the readme)
./configure
make
make test
sudo make install
     (this will prompt you for your password)

This will place a copy of ruby in /usr/local/bin.  Include this in
your path.  For csh edit your .cshrc file in your home directory and
add the line (or modify it):
set path = (/usr/local/bin  $path)

and either open a new terminal window or type rehash to make the new
path available.

I did just this a few days ago on 10.4.3 and it works like a charm.

Dave.