Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Sam Kong wrote:
>
>> This is not about Ruby itself but about OS.
>> The reason that I ask this question in this group is that I've been
>> motivated to use other OS's than Windows by this group while I learned
>> Ruby.
>

> I think that's an awful reason to ask here. This mailing list already
> gets a couple of hundred messages per day (142 since I last looked about
> 15 hours ago), and is hard enough to follow as it is.
>
> I would give a lot for a list that a) didn't have blatently off-topic
> stuff,

But blatantly OT items usually have [OT] in the subject line, so
filtering is trivial.

> and b) restricted all members to one post per thread and one new
> thread per day. As it is, too often I come in and just delete everything
> because I don't have time to figure out what's worthwhile and what's not.

How about if we have to raise our hand to go to the bathroom, too?

Seriously, I often have problems scanning the new items to see what's
worth perusing and what's not, but the use of filters and virtual
folders in Thunderbird helps a great deal.

I learn all sorts of handy stuff quite unexpectedly, and figure if
anything earthshaking is discussed, and I miss the thread, I'll hear
about one way or another.

The accidental is part of the fun.

James