"Sam Kong" <sam.s.kong / gmail.com> wrote in comp.lang.ruby

> Hello, Ruby people!
>
> This is not about Ruby itself but about OS.
> The reason that I ask this question in this group is that I've been
> motivated to use other OS's than Windows by this group while I learned
> Ruby.
> Thus the people in this group can answer my question very well.
> Also, I feel very comfortable with people in this group, even if I
> don't know them personally.
> (I feel like they are my friends.)
> This question is not meant to bring flame wars!
>
> I use Windows at my work and home.
> Of course, I tried several linux OS's (RedHat, SUSE, Debian, Gentoo,
> Ubuntu) and this year I even purchased Mini Mac.
> However, I haven't succeeded to make myself used to these OS's.
>
> I have some questions to linux users and Mac users.
>
> 1. When you use Ruby on Linux or just in general on Linux, do you use
> text-mode or graphic-mode?

I have no idea about this because i am also a newbie in Ruby. I am
working on windows at this moment.

> 2. I've never succeeded to make my laptops work perfectly on Linux.
> Sometimes, network card is not working, other times, USB is not
> recognized, or Sound card is not working. I've tried on 5 different
> laptops with different Linux but none was perfect. How do you overcome
> this problem? Well... if you use just a text-mode, this might not be a
> problem.

I installed the linux in my laptop. I use KDE, everything works very
well, wireless or ethernet, usb, even battery management. I think you may
try mandriva first because it is very easy to install and use, especially
in GUI applications. After you get used to linux, you can try your
favorite distribution.