On 11/21/05, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:
> Rob Rypka wrote:
> > Many people keep journals of what they had to do to get Linux running
> > on a particular laptop.  I suggest you look into this for your laptop.
> >  If you're planning on purchasing a laptop for linux use, make sure
> > you do the research first.
>
> Is it feasible (e.g., no jail time) to go to CompUSA or Fry's with a
> Knoppix disk and just try out some machines?

Generally this is frowned upon, but I don't see a situation where you
would get jail time from it.  It never hurts to ask, but you might get
away with more if you try it first and play dumb if you get caught :-)

Checking out these linux laptop compatibility pages are still a good
first step.  There are a lot of people who are less conservitave with
their capital than I, and buy laptops before they're sure Linux will
run on them.  You'll at least know what to expect.

And, heck, if the fix to your laptop's problem is simple enough, you
could bring a USB key with necessary files along with your Live CD to
the store.

--
Rob