On 11/21/05, Sam Kong <sam.s.kong / gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. When you use Ruby on Linux or just in general on Linux, do you use
> text-mode or graphic-mode?

I usually use rxvt terminals in a lightweight window manager (Ion).  I
could probably abandon my window manager for emacs in "text-mode," but
I'm too lazy.

> 2. I've never succeeded to make my laptops work perfectly on Linux.
> Sometimes, network card is not working, other times, USB is not
> recognized, or Sound card is not working. I've tried on 5 different
> laptops with different Linux but none was perfect. How do you overcome
> this problem? Well... if you use just a text-mode, this might not be a
> problem.

Many people keep journals of what they had to do to get Linux running
on a particular laptop.  I suggest you look into this for your laptop.
 If you're planning on purchasing a laptop for linux use, make sure
you do the research first.

You can google for the laptop model and linux, or start off at one of
these sites:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://www.tuxmobil.org/

With most laptops, you can at least get the vesa driver working, so
unless you need hardware acceleration, you should be fine on that
front.

I have had good success with Ubuntu on all hardware - it's
autodetection works quite well.  However, reading on this thread,
people have had problems with the Ruby 1.8.3 packages, so you might
end up building your own ruby from source (I still use the old 1.8.2
packages, which work great).  The default gnome setup (although I
don't use it) is also quite slick.

> If anybody has experience of moving from Windows to Linux or Mac,
> please share the success story.

My Windows desktop stopped working, so I stopped using it, in favor of
my Linux desktop.  Is that success?

--
Rob