In article <3ubh96F10a347U1 / individual.net>,
Robert Klemme <bob.news / gmx.net> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>

>Hi,
>
>this came up recently on IRC: question was how to chain processing so that
>each step runs concurrently to other steps.  While I don't see real benefit
>as long as there are no native threads in Ruby I played around a bit and
>this is the result (attached).  There's certainly rool for improvement.  Do
>with this whatever you like.

True, without native threads you won't really gain any performance, but what
if (to improve performance) you were to either:
1) launch new processes instead of threads?
  or
2) set things up so that different stages of the pipeline can run on different
machines? (maybe using Drb?)

....of course the amount of information passed between stages of the pipeline
would need to be small so that the communication overhead would stay low.

Phil