Lady Michelle Bhaal <michelle / corax.com.au> writes:

> Hiya.  The book does things this way, so why doesn't it work for me?
> What's going on?
>
> def fromWeb(site, url)
> 	# get data from website
> 	h = Net::HTTP.new(site, 80)
> 	resp, data=h.get(url, nil)
>
> 	# process data
> 	data.each do <- point of second error
> 		|line|
>               [ ... etc. ... ]
> 	end # end data.each <- gets "undefined method 'line'", from the second

It turns out that Net::Http#get no longer returns a pair of values.  It
has changed between ruby version 1.6 (from the edition of the book that
you probably have) and 1.8.  This is explained in the method's latest
documentation (from
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/net/http/rdoc/index.html):

  get(path, initheader = nil, dest = nil) {|+body_segment+| ...}

  Gets data from path on the connected-to host. header must be a Hash
  like { 'Accept' => '*/*', ... }.

  In version 1.1 (ruby 1.6), this method returns a pair of objects, a
  Net::HTTPResponse object and the entity body string. In version 1.2
  (ruby 1.8), this method returns a Net::HTTPResponse object.

  If called with a block, yields each fragment of the entity body in
  turn as a string as it is read from the socket. Note that in this
  case, the returned response object will not contain a (meaningful)
  body.

  dest argument is obsolete. It still works but you must not use it.

  In version 1.1, this method might raise an exception for 3xx
  (redirect). In this case you can get a HTTPResponse object by
  "anException.response".

  In version 1.2, this method never raises exception.

    # version 1.1 (bundled with Ruby 1.6)
    response, body = http.get('/index.html')

    # version 1.2 (bundled with Ruby 1.8 or later)
    response = http.get('/index.html')

    # using block
    File.open('result.txt', 'w') {|f|
      http.get('/~foo/') do |str|
        f.write str
      end
    }

See also Net::HTTPResponse within that same documentation.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz / asfast.com