On 11/19/05, Rawn027 <Rawn027 / gmail.com> wrote:
> Which is the best OS to use for ruby development...My vote goes to Mac
> OS X?

Which OS do you find best for development? That will give you your
answer.

I develop PDF::Writer entirely on Windows. When I get around to
purchasing a MacOS X laptop, I will probably shift my development of
PDF::Writer to the Mac (or it might be both Mac and Win since I'm
planning on getting a macintel). I find that I develop for the Ruby
platform.

[...]

On 11/19/05, Timothy Goddard <interfecus / gmail.com> wrote:
> Ruby is, I believe, primarily designed for use with Linux, although
> the code is highly portable.

I'm not sure that's true. In fact, I think it would be fair to say that
no, Ruby is not "primarily designed for use with Linux". It is designed
as a cross-platform language. Debian Linux is Matz's primary development
environment and there are a lot of Linux users, but the "many eyeballs"
theory definitely applies, as bugs with AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, Windows,
Mac OS X, FreeBSD and less popular platforms get noticed relatively
quickly, even if they aren't necessarily fixed quickly because of
developers' limited access to some of those boxes.

Indeed, I will be adding new features to the Windows implementation of
Ruby in the not-too-distant future because I have access to that as a
development platform.

By and large, though, I personally would prefer to run on FreeBSD or
MacOS X than any version of Linux, but especially Debian. I know Matz
uses Debian, but there have been quality issues with Debian's Ruby
support in the past and while the current situation is *better*, it's
still not (IMO) good enough.

On 11/19/05, Tim Hammerquist <penryu / vegeta.ath.cx> wrote:
> I have a great time developing Ruby on both OS X and FreeBSD. I don't
> happen to have any Linux boxen at the moment, but last time I did, it
> worked really well.
>
> For me, any system that has vim and a ruby installation is ideal.

Precisely!

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com