jqshenker wrote:
> I'd recommend staying away from Gentoo: I prefer
> source-based OSs, but Gentoo just breaks too often for it to be worth
> it. Also, Gentoo users are on the whole jerkyer and less helpful than
> normal people.

I can't help to defend gentoo here a bit. I've been using gentoo for two
years now and in my experience it doesn't break often, but YMMV. The
main pro about gentoo is its users and support. The forums are just
amazing and people are generally very helpful. I know some people who
use other distros, but they often first turn to the gentoo forums for
help etc. Of course I have no experience with gentoo people in
mailinglists and irc. They may all be jerks there.

(Sorry couldn't help but defend them a little :))