Although eruby might familiar (and thus an ideal tool for theseparticlar tasks), I'd recommend eventually learning the basics of RoRas its MVC architecture encourages better style than PHP does most ofthe time. It doesn't need a database, and while ActiveRecord (its ORM)is a big part of Rails, its use is by no means mandatory. And in timeyou'll probably need to use its other abilities (such as sendingemails or providing web services).
Jacob
On 11/19/05, Tim Hammerquist <penryu / vegeta.ath.cx> wrote:> Cam <cameron.matheson / gmail.com> wrote:> > I need to make some simple web-pages at work for internal use> > (changing svn password, modifying postfix email-aliases, etc).> > I'd like to use ruby for this.  I haven't really done anything> > w/ web-development in many years, and back then i was using> > php.  I know that ruby on rails is the hottest thing ever> > right now, but it doesn't seem like i should need> > database-centric stuff like that for the simple web-apps> > i need to develop.  I found mod-ruby and have set it up, but> > i'm not sure how to best use it now.    Is there any> > documentation avaliable?>>> > do i just use puts to output html streams, or is that> > streamlined for me somehow?  How do i ask for input, etc.?>> Coming from php, you might find eruby nice.  It uses files of> extension .rhtml, and allows you to embed ruby code inside an> html page, a la php or asp.>> Combining eruby for the template side, and the CGI module for> additional HTML generation and form processing, should be> a nice, simple solution to providing browser access to system> utilities.>> HTH,> Tim Hammerquist>>