On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, anne001 wrote:

> > When you have installed the Tcl and Tk (which you may not
> > need to do if you already have them in fact: see if there is a 'tclsh'
> > and a 'wish' on your PATH
>
> I know my code works from the ruby terminal. so what I need for now is
> definitely installed.
> whereis tclsh and whereis wish:
> /usr/bin/tclsh and /usr/bin/wish

I can never remember how to check the versions on those -- it's
stored in a variable rather than an option, but it's worth finding
out.

> >It should figure it out:
> ruby at the terminal knows where to look, but emacs does not know where
> to look for the library.

During compilation invoked from emacs?  You need to check that you
are getting the correct shell and environment [variables] when emacs
calls out to the shell to do things.  I don't know enough about
emacs to help with this bit.

> >(so you may as well get expect while you are at it.
> I don't know what this means.

Expect is a utility for automating applications with a textual
interface.  I can't access http://expect.nist.gov/ just now so
try http://mini.net/tcl/expect for more info instead.  The Dejagnu
testing framwork is based on expect.

> thank you for your post. It sounds like I need to learn about unix,

Given so much open source is based on it, a good idea.  My collected
info is here mainly:

http://www.eng.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/software/#unix

I'm about half way through fixing the links on that page where I
can.

> configs, path,,, Strange, so many people seem to use emacs, I thought
> it would be easy to get it functional.

Yes, it might be worth asking on an emacs list as well.

        Hugh