On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, anne001 wrote:

> I tried the following
> cd ~/desktop/ruby-*
> cd ext
> cd cd tcltklib
> rm Makefile
> and ran
> CONFIGURE_ARGS='--with-tcl-include=/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tkextlib/
> --with-tcllib=tcllib ruby extconf.rb
> but it did not do anything.
> Do I need to run make and sudo make install etc?

configure is a shell script that searches your system for utilities.
It then builds the makefile and possibly other files.  You can then
run make etc.  You could look at this autoconf tutorial to
understand in more detail what is going on.

http://www.galassi.org/mark//mydocs/autoconf_tutorial_toc.html

but that may be excessive to have that much detail.

> I could not find a tklib in tkextlib in 1.8

It uses the one on your system. For Tk you need Tcl, (so you may as
well get expect while you are at it.)

One place to find out about those is http://www.tcl.tk/

> and I am not sure what the directory, libraries, etc are to tell config
> at configuration -- if I tried to reinstall Ruby.

It should figure it out: with configure you generally tell it if you
need  to.  When you have installed the Tcl and Tk (which you may not
need to do if you already have them in fact: see if there is a 'tclsh'
and a 'wish' on your PATH :- use

whereis tclsh; whereis wish;
or
which tclsh; which wish

from a shell.

> I think I am on the right track, but don't know how to proceed

Also you are probably best avoiding 1.8.3 for now, 1.8.4 will come
soon, but 1.8.3 has problems with YAML and with rubygems, so stick
to 1.8.2 for now.

        HTH
        Hugh