On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, boscomonkey / gmail.com wrote:

> I'm trying to organize a Ruby Meetup group in San Francisco
> (http://ruby.meetup.com/6/) and applied to the SF Public Library to use
> one of their small meeting rooms. They turned us down because they have
> deemed Ruby to be a product for commercial gain. The analogy that the
> SFPL contact person used is that one can walk into a bookstore and find
> a book on Ruby; I countered that one can also find a book on
> childrearing.

Interesting.   They have an audio/visual media request form on

http://sfpl.org/librarylocations/mtgrms/roomsetup.htm

The tool for reading it is a product of Adobe, because it is PDF.
It also mentions that the Library PC uses Powerpoint. a commercial
product of Microsoft.  And you are not allowed to use Macs, so it is
clearly biased towards Microsoft.

The meeting is essentially to help people learn about ruby.  Isn't
education a function of libraries any more?

"Third priority will be given to children, youth groups and
organizations involved in literacy or educational programs. "

Computer literacy?

"Fourth priority will be given to other non-profit public and
/or social service organizations."

Not for profit....

Maybe tell them you want the first meeting to include a section on
how to use Poerpoint! :-)

        Hugh