On 11/17/05, Mark Hubbart <discordantus / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/05, boscomonkey / gmail.com <boscomonkey / gmail.com> wrote:

> You want to start a "Ruby Author's Club", where those who enjoy
> writing Ruby code can get together and talk about it. They shouldn't
> have a problem with that, even though you can get paid (if you're
> lucky!) to write Ruby code.

Yeah... or maybe SF Ruby Hobbyists or something.  Anything that
distinguishes the group as 'non commercial'

You could also mention the fact that Ruby (and many many ruby
applications) are free software.  Of course, this doesn't always mean
free as in beer, but in many cases it does.  On top of that, it does
ensure that the 'for private gain' clause is effectively eliminated.
Alternatively, you can seek a host in your local area other than the
library.

We were originally looking for public meeting places for new_haven.rb
until one of our members secured us office space which we have a lot
more leeway with scheduling / setup / rules / etc, and it works quite
nicely.

We do however, charge $500 at the door and we demand that people sign
a NDA upon entering the building.   Because we're all about the ruby
benjamins :)