On Tuesday 15 November 2005 20:46, Nathaniel S. H. Brown wrote:
> I have been learning Rails for several months now, and at first I was
> simply learning the MVC principles and architecture, but once I want to
> dive deeper into the functionality and build a serious application, I found
> I needed very drastically to get familiar with the language it was built
> on, Ruby. If I didn't have the entrance point of Rails, I likely would not
> be organizing the Rails conference, which will in turn promote Ruby by
> default :)

This is great.  Some of us come from the other side, as I had no idea what
Ruby was or why I should care.  The project I'm writing will have a web
piece, so my boss (who is very smart) was looking at RoR.  We decided on Ruby
for the application, regardless of web framework, as it's not simply a web
app, and here I am.  So it was rails that got me into Ruby, but I still
haven't used it.  Ever. :-)

I love Ruby, and even more, love getting paid to write in it. :-)
(thanks matz, you already have a spot in the glory box.)