Andrew Thompson wrote:

> > How is it easier to read 500 emails in forum form?

> Well, I can easily see what threads have had updates since I've read
> them, and I can easily ignore entire threads. Also, I spend a lot more
> time in a browser then a mail client

Likewise.  Thank you mutt(1).

> > Or better yet, reply to the pertinent message and remove any text
> > that isn't relevant to your reply, instead of replying to some
> > random message in the thread.

> And when you don't have a particular reply to reply to? (I usually do
> the above when I'm replying to something specific, like right now).

And why was my message the one you replied to?  (I'm not looking for an
argument, honest.)

> > In a perfect world, all MUAs would produce In-Reply-To and References
> > headers.

> Yeah, but we self evidently do not, which is why I proposed something to
> augment those.

Both you and I have MUAs that add those headers (well ruby-forum does
it, even though it's strictly not an MUA).

> > The line-length is probably set at 72 or some such, as most people
> > send emails with 72-characters-per-line-long lines

> I'm in a browser, I don't need my lines wrapped at 72 characters, I'd
> prefer to have them wrapped depending on the size of my browser window.

Yes, but how would you determine what lines to join?

Furthermore, the human brain, together with the human eye, prefers to
process lines that contain about 72 (note the about) characters.

        nikolai