In article <20051115141436.GC8693 / gandalf.wlan>, hans / fugal.net says...
> I'm not sure how libmad's interface is, and I've never really done
> streaming before, but to my understanding you would generally want to
> decode a fixed amount each 'period', since that's how you're going to
> feed it to the soundcard anyway. You could always do a 'big enough'
> array and fill it partially if needed.

Right, of course.  I know that quite well as an end user, but as a
developer, I skipped right over it...

> You could probably do this now if you use mpg123 and/or sox and output
> to a raw format on stdout and read that into an NArray (or you can be a
> tester for the Audio class - it works now, but the API is still subject
> to change).

Looks like ecasound may be my friend, too... especially with ruby
bindings!  I haven't even started playing yet, so we'll see.

--
Jay Levitt                |
Wellesley, MA             | I feel calm.  I feel ready.  I can only