Devin Mullins wrote:

> Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > Scoring is precisely what you described yourself.  You can give
> > messages/threads positive and negative scores depending on various
> > attributes of said entity.

> Err? Honest confusion. How is that the same as (or isomorphic to)
> sorting threads by date of most recent post?

Ah, I misread.  Scoring allows you to give messages a positive or
negative score depending on attributes of a message.  The attributes
that may be scored upon are numerous, so you best consult mutt's manual
(which has scoring), or if you use NNTP, slrn's manual.  There's also a
separate document about it: http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/score.txt.

Thus, instead of sorting your threads in "having the most recent
messages first" mode, you could see to it that uninteresting threads are
removed/ignored, that certain threads are given a higher score than
others and sort based on score (set sort=score in mutt).  (You could
also do 'set sort=threads' and 'set sort_aux=score'.  I don't know for
sure, but hopefully it'll sort on date if two threads have the same
score.)

        nikolai