Robert Klemme wrote:
> Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> > On 11/14/05, Robert Klemme wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think Google is to blame.  The gateway software is more
> >> likely to be the culprit: When reading via NNTP these lines are
> >> missing, too.  I guess it has something to do with lines that
> >> consist only of ".".
> >
> > I'll venture a guess it has something to do with a single dot alone on
> > a line signaling the end of DATA in an SMTP session. Clearly other
> > mail agents can handle this, so the gateway needs some tweaking.
>
> I'll join you guessing.  More precisely, I suspect the GW software doesn't
> escape those dots when sending a posting from mail to the news side.

http://ruby-talk.org/ruby/ruby-talk/165659

http://ruby-talk.org/ruby/ruby-talk/165662

My guess is that it's the same problem that the newsgroup / google
sees with messages being truncated at '=' signs in some other
"quoted-printable" posts.

I think it's recommended to post to newsgroups in plain text
(uuencoded) but a growing number of the list members are
mailing MIME (quoted-printable).  That's not wrong and I guess
most wouldn't care but, unless you selected "q-p" knowingly -
rather than it being the default in your mail agent, the problem
wouldn't occur if it could be reset to something else.

daz