Eric Hofreiter just won't give up:

> An example would be the -1 calling sequence, which the readme.ext
> describes, but it does not mention anything at all about formatting
> the args until the appendix.

<Programming Ruby I>

In some of the function definitions that follow, the parameter argc
specifies how many arguments a Ruby method takes.
It may have the following values.

   argc    Function prototype
   0..17   VALUE func(VALUE self, VALUE arg...)
           The C function will be called with this many actual arguments.

      -1   VALUE func(int argc, VALUE *argv, VALUE self)
           The C function will be given a variable number of arguments
           passed as a C array.

      -2   VALUE func(VALUE self, VALUE args)
           The C function will be given a variable number of arguments
           passed as a Ruby array.
</>

> When I think of documentation, I think of [...]

Document one API call that you had to work out for yourself
and post it here, and well see.  Thanks.

> I'm not trying to complain [...]

Thanks for purging that idea from our heads ;)

daz