I've noticed that the frequency of questions about doing audio stuff
with ruby is increasing. That's really neat. Too bad ruby's not ready
for it... yet.

There's a lot of thought that could go into a lot of areas in ruby
audio. I decided to take a pragmatic 'release-{early,often}' approach
and start at the core. I whipped up a simple sound class based on
NArray, and I requests your comments on it and its interface:

  http://hans.fugal.net/src/ruby-audio

My plans for this are simple: wrap libsndfile, libsamplerate, and
possibly portaudio. Combined with ladspar, midilib, and other ruby audio
libs that exist, this should get us well on the way.

I think a wiki, a la SciRuby (perhaps a subsection of SciRuby or
RubyGarden?), would be another great unifying step.

Ruby audio developers, unite! We may be few but we're non-zero.

About me: I'm a PhD student in Computer Science who finally gets to say
that music and audio stuff is on-topic, as my research area is Computer
Music.