On 11/10/05, mjfreshyfresh / gmail.com <mjfreshyfresh / gmail.com> wrote:
> First off, thanks for all you are doing in the Ruby PDF realm of
> things. I have worked with [PDF::Writer] a bit and it's pretty sweet.

> Secondly, I see that since the June 1.0.0  release, there have been
> release about once a month until Sept, so I'm guessing a new release
> is coming in the near future?

Pretty much -- I just haven't had time to finish and finalize it (it
takes about one day to finalize a release of PDF::Writer when it's
feature and bugfix complete). It's just a point release (1.1.4), but it
will be incorporating some bug fixes and the Japanese-language patch
provided in late October. After that, I'm working toward full SVG import
with the help of Leslie Hensley and better font support overall. That
should be out in early January if all goes well.

> Finally, Is "Not yet." 1-2months or more like 6months+?

It is probably at least *eight* months away unless something that
someone pointed me to will be useful. There are a number of things that
prevent PDF::Writer from being a suitable platform for modifying
existing PDF documents, but as I mentioned in my RubyConf presentation,
I am simultaneously working on PDF::Writer 1.x and PDF::Core (which will
lead to PDF::Writer 2.0 and PDF::Reader).

I have a bit of coordination to do with people who have volunteered
their time on some of the projects that I've got which are part of or
subordinate to PDF::Writer (I haven't forgotten -- I just haven't had
time to do anything at *all* related to Ruby software since I got back
from RubyConf!)

I do want to correct one specific bit of terminology, though. The
feature you're looking for is probably *not* Layers. That has a specific
meaning and is very similar to layers in PhotoShop. It does not
necessarily mean documents with later revisions, although Layers could
be used to accomplish putting new items in a document without modifying
the old items at all. You need document revising, not just Layers. It's
that former part which is the sticking point.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca