I also found some weird stuff with DRb & uri..

In specific, the receiving server would not yield data to the client
if the clients primary dns suffix was not dns-able.... In my opinion,
I would htink the server would attempt to validate or dns the client
via wins or lm/hosts but.. dunno..

My article here:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/157389?help-en

good luck