On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 07:59 +0900, Jim Freeze wrote:

> > If you don't have matching forward and reverse DNS, DRb won't be able
> > to return a good hostname.
>
> Since the computer connects with DHCP to the network, adding host entry
> won't help here. And, I don't think I should have to run bind on my
> laptop to get this to work.

Not on your laptop. But your DHCP server and you DNS server should
probably talk to each other so that:

1) your laptop gets a meaningful domain name (I doubt 'local' is it)
2) have the DNS server know about the IP given away by the DHCP server.

If you are using dhcpd by isc.org, lookup the 'DYNAMIC DNS UPDATES'
paragraph in the dhcpd.conf(5) man page.

Guillaume.