On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 07:27:14AM +0900, cles2 / comcast.net wrote:
> Speaking of RubyGems, I did as you said using the
>   sudo apt-get install libyaml-ruby1.8 libzlib-ruby1.8 and everything
> seemed to be operating correctly.
>
> The apt-get process stated selecting libruby1.8 instead of
> libyaml-ruby1.8 and selecting libruby1.8 instead of libzlib-ruby1.8 but
> ended saying 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
> upgraded.

Cool, looks like you already had these libraries.

> Then I tried the setup as follows:
> @ubuntu:~/MyDocuments/Downloads/gem/rubygems-0.8.11$ ruby setup.rb
> ---> bin
> <--- bin
> ---> lib
> ---> lib/rubygems
> <--- lib/rubygems
> <--- lib
> ---> bin
> <--- bin
> ---> lib
> ---> lib/rubygems
> <--- lib/rubygems
> <--- lib
> rm -f InstalledFiles
> ---> bin
> mkdir -p /usr/bin/
> install gemwhich /usr/bin/
> setup.rb:513:in `initialize': Permission denied - /usr/bin/gemwhich
> (Errno::EACCES)
>         from setup.rb:513:in `install'

<snip>

> A couple of times I got permission denied, but I am the sole owner of
> my computer.
>
> It looks like RubyGems might be installed, but if so, not in the right
> directory or possibly not in the path?
>
> Anyway I still get file not found after I type gem at the command line.
>
> Hope this is not too much for you. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. I am dying to get at the applications programming, but
> this is killing me!

You need to run the command as root since it writes files to shared
directories not owned by your user and the ownership of those directories
should stay as they are.

  $ sudo ruby setup.rb

A more specific explanation of why is not Ruby specific and could take a bit
of background to explain so I'll leave that to your future exploration of the
Unix environment.

marcel
--
Marcel Molina Jr, <marcel / vernix.org>