On Nov 10, 2005, at 11:27 AM, cles2 / comcast.net wrote:

> Converting from Windows XP to Linux, I have formatted one of my
> computers with Ubuntu 5,10 which has Ruby 1.8.3 installed. I can
> create
> and execute ruby files (.rb) with no problems. However, when i try irb
> bash reports that the file cannot be found. Same with ri.
>
> I'm an experienced programmer but getting set up is driving me nuts.
> I'm also having problems trying to download RubyGems and Rails, but I
> have not really progressed far enough to worry about that yet. Help?
>
> Les

Les-

	I find the ruby and rails packages on Ubuntu to be confusing and
hard to get right. So I install from source and end up with a perfect
environment for rails dev. I have a crib sheet on how to install the
whole stack ruby/gems/lighttpd/mysql/fcgi on my blog. Maybe this
helps you a bit?

http://brainspl.at/pages/rails_stack

Good luck-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz