cles2 / comcast.net wrote:

>Converting from Windows XP to Linux, I have formatted one of my
>computers with Ubuntu 5,10 which has Ruby 1.8.3 installed. I can create
>and execute ruby files (.rb) with no problems. However, when i try irb
>bash reports that the file cannot be found. Same with ri.
>
>I'm an experienced programmer but getting set up is driving me nuts.
>I'm also having problems trying to download RubyGems and Rails, but I
>have not really progressed far enough to worry about that yet. Help?
>
>Les

If you fire up synaptic and search for irb and ri you'll find that they
have their own entries.  You should be able to install them without too
much difficulty.

Rubygems, on the other hand, might give you some problems.

I managed to get ruby (and all of my favorite gems) set up working on my
Ubuntu 5.10 system recently.  If you need any more help you can ask here
or I'll also
be glad to help off-list.

Matthew