On 11/9/05, ruby.journal / mac.com <ruby.journal / mac.com> wrote:
> I am pleased to pre-announce the launch of a new, professional
> periodical focused exclusively on Ruby.
>
> The journal, tentatively titled "Red," will be published monthly and
> will be distributed internationally as a stylish, high-quality, 60-
> page PDF. Each month, Red will focus on boosting the skills and
> productivity of all Ruby programmers -- from novices to gurus --
> providing pragmatic, practical, insightful, hands-on, and diverse
> advice and expertise.
>
> Contributors will be paid for material accepted and published in the
> journal. Like other journals, all material will be vetted by peers
> and experts prior to publication.
>
> Feature-length stories (4,000 words) earn $500.00.
>
> Column-length stories (2,500 words) earn $350.
>
> In addition to three features each month, Red will also include five-
> six regular monthly columns that appear in every issue, news, updates
> on software releases, community happenings, user group meetings, op-
> ed, and reviews and examples of Ruby packages.
>
> Red will also include a "Marketplace" section where ISPs, developers,
> designers, and organizations can advertise jobs, services, skills,
> conferences, books, training, and products.
>
> The advertising rate is $2,000 per page. Half-page, quarter-page,
> third-page and one-eighth-page ads are available at a pro-rated fee.
> Classified ads of 100 words or less are $50.00.
>
> Annual subscriptions to Red will be $60.
>

> If you're interested in...
>
> ... Subscribing
>
> ... Becoming a regular columnist
>
> ... Writing feature- or column-length stories
>
> ... Submitting your work for consideration
>
> ... Providing guidance and ideas for stories and coverage
>
> ... Advertising, or
>
> ... Just want more information
>
> ... please send email to ruby.journal / mac.com to receive updates,
> schedules, writer guidelines, and news as the editorial plan, web
> site, and design of the journal take shape.
>

> I look forward to your questions, ideas, readership, and
> participation in furthering the gem called Ruby.

Ok, 10 points for the most ambitious 1st post I've ever seen on any
mailing list (could explain the lack of replies).

Couple thoughts...

It needs a better name, but that's just me.  Of course, if you ask for
suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

There are a couple of regular posts that deserve recognition.  I'd
love to hear that some/all of them are already in the plan, but if
they're not, they deserve to be considered (in no particular order):

Tim Sutherland has done an incredible job with his 'Ruby Weekly News',
and I've long thought that he should expand it a bit, and make it a
magazine.

James Edward Gray II runs the 'Ruby Quiz' weekly, and that should also
be a regular feature.  There's a book coming out, but it would be
great if his summaries ran regularly.

Hal Fulton's been maintaining/posting the list FAQ for quite some
time.  It should also be included on a regular basis.

I'm sure I've missed some, but those three stand out in my mind.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)