Re: comments by  Austin Ziegler

1. You confuses what I said about the VM for the job of the compiler.
The VM executes compiled java code. Early Java VM's was based on a
simple interpreter of bytecode. Hence the comparison is in perfect
order. And hotspot works fine on everything that can be compiled to
bytecode, like Jython or any of the several scripting languges for the
java vm. The next verison of java after mustang will even have special
optimized bytecode instructions for (scripting) languages.

3. "First class" is not marketing nonsense but means integrated,
build-in language support (for unicode) at a level comparable to other
features. From what I have read ruby does not have that. Maybe I am
wrong because I don't know Ruby that well?

4. I guess we will never agree on the IDE issue - but I will admit that
it MAY be a matter of taste. However, I hope you do understand that it
is an issue for some (and properly for most people taking into account
how many professionals that uses IDEs).

Finally, don't jump to the conclusion that I don't like Ruby or do not
think it is appropiate. I have investigated Ruby because I found it
very interesting (mainly because of the metaprogramming capabilities
and ROR). However I have identified some current shortcommings listed
here that are serious. This does not mean I won't do development in
Ruby or recommend it (in fact I will do the opposite). Rather I will be
careful about what I do and what I recommend Ruby for. I wrote this
because I would welcome any problems/errors in my analysis not to "talk
Ruby down".

I thank you for the feedback.

--
Morten