On 11/8/05, petermichaux / yahoo.com <petermichaux / yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the straight answer.

Happy to help

> I'm just information gathering. Learning about oss licences. I not
> necessarily going to use this type of licence.

I suggest reading both the OSI definitions of licenses as well as the
FSF definitions.  All free software is open source but not all open
source software is free.  Keep in mind, free does not necessarily mean
free beer, there are plenty of commercial free software applications
out there.

When possible it pays to be both free and open source software (F/OSS)

GPL compatibility is desireable, and there are many licenses that are
compatible with the GPL.
This allows you to select the license that best fits your need without
shutting out those who are in favor of the copyleft.

On the gripping hand, be careful of the reaction if you decide to
actually use the GPL.  Many people oppose the copyleft, and this will
effectively shut them out of your development.

Hope this helps and good luck with your licensing issues.  If you need
any additional suggestions, feel free to contact me off list.