On 11/5/05, Domenico De Felice <defelicedomenico / gmail.com> wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > It sounds too much like Python. Python's syntax is one of the reasons
> > I don't use Python.
> I didn't mean a indentation-block as in Python, but just to use a colon
> with one-statement blocks. Multi-statements blocks would look the same.
>
> class Foo
>    def foo
>       a = "foo"
>    end
>    def bar: "bar"
> end
>
> The indentation of the statement following the colon would be ignored.
> It looks prettier than the double semicolon to me.
> With multilines blocks I can't see any reason to change the do .. end
> syntax.

Ruby permits multiple statements on a single line. Your proposal:

  def bar: "bar"

looks unbalanced (because, in fact, it is). It gets worse if you do:

  def bar: foo; "bar"

Sorry, but I think that this -- and ;; -- are both bad ideas that
should be dropped.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com