Stephen Waits wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
>

>> Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people
>> start referring to RUBY.
>

> Sorry.. in my day I learned PERL as Practical Extraction and Reporting
> Language.  Maybe I learned it wrong a dozen years ago..

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to poke fun at you; I've just grown
accustomed  to seeing job ads and recruitment E-mail that refers to
PERL, JAVA, and similar miscapitalizations.  And I figure it is only a
matter of time before buzz-oriented HR folks start asking for RUBY
experience.

Anyways, in the spirit of geek pedantry: Perl is not an acronym.  It is
a backronym or retronym, as the meaning of individual letters was
retrofitted to the name of the language after it was chosen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl

James