Stefan Lang ha scritto:
> On Thursday 03 November 2005 19:22, zero wrote:
>
>>"notice that is planned for yarv to even support translation to C,
>>and that some basic functionality for this is already available"
>>
>>OK, things are heating up.
>>
>>It sounds like the Gabmit Scheme approach.  Will 'yarv' output ansi
>>C which we can then run through a C compiler of our choice?
>>
>>Are there any gcc front ends planned?
>>
>>Thanks for your post, this is fantastic news.
>

> I wouldn't be to euphoric. I don't think it will be ever possible
> to convert a Ruby program to C code that doesn't depend on a Ruby
> interpreter.
> Extreme example: eval
 > If it would be possible, Ruby were just C with different syntax.

yes, AFAIK, the ruby->c translation just spits out a C library that you
can use in your code to get a great speedup (and some obfuscation).

Anyway, I think it would be possible to avoid depending on an
interpreter, following the same approach other compilers for dynamic
languages do: depend on a library (just like libruby) and compile it
directly in the executable.