I started this as a question but figured out the answer while I was 
researching, so I'm posting this here for others that may have the same 
problem.

The error I received from my code was as follows:

(druby://*:9000) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/drb/drb.rb:375:in `_id2ref': 0xdbe53cf6 is 
recycled object (RangeError)
        from (druby://*:9000) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/drb/drb.rb:375:in `to_obj'
        from (druby://*:9000) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/drb/drb.rb:1343:in `to_obj'
        from (druby://*:9000) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/drb/drb.rb:1626:in `to_obj'
        from (druby://*:9000) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/drb/drb.rb:601:in 
`recv_request'
        from (druby://*:9000) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/drb/drb.rb:899:in 
`recv_request'
        from (druby://*:9000) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/drb/drb.rb:1453:in 
`init_with_client'
        from (druby://*:9000) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/drb/drb.rb:1465:in 
`setup_message'
        from (druby://*:9000) /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/drb/drb.rb:1435:in `perform'
         ... 22 levels...
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/Qt/qtruby.rb:1040:in 
`method_missing'
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/Qt/qtruby.rb:1040:in `exec'
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/KDE/korundum.rb:395:in `exec'
        from ./init.rb:1123
KCrash: Application 'init.rb' crashing...

This was happening consistantly from the same place in the code.  I finally 
tracked down the line that was giving me grief, and the issue was that I had 
a method called Order#id.  When I was running the code without DRb, this 
worked just fine, but calling id on a DRb proxy object will get you its DRb 
object id.  I was returning this value, etc.

I fixed the problem by changing the method name to order_id, so I know how to 
avoid the error, but I would still like a little more explaination as to why 
exactly this occurred so I can get DRb just that much clearer in my mind. :-)