On 11/3/05, Caleb Tennis <caleb / aei-tech.com> wrote:
> > Sleep will round you to the nearest integer.
> >
> > Run sleep 1.4 and sleep 1.9 in irb and see what you get.
>
> It rounds its return value to the nearest integer, but at least here it sleeps
> for the specified time.

I just looked it up in the Pickaxe... you're right.  It returns the
time actually slept (rounded to the nearest second) and tries to sleep
to the specified float time.

http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ref_m_kernel.html#Kernel.sleep

This is not meant to a precise I don't think, so this kind of round is fine.

I once needed greater precision than sleep() but I forgot what I used.
 I am pretty sure there is something in the standard library for this,
though.