>> Am I looking at different defaults (yuck) or is the wsdl setting this?
>
> The server you are attempting to call determines it. THe server
> describes the web services it makes available (and the soap style,
> etc) using WSDL (Web Service Description Language).

ok
(how woul I tell marshall to do the same?)

> The standards docs provide pretty good detail -- but if you're just
> beginning, it's likely better to read some articles on-line to get
> started or pick up a book on web services. I'd look at amazon and
> figure out which is best. It's really a pretty deep subject and takes
> more than a few listserv messages to summarize, although you can get
> by pretty well if you just learn the basics.

Way too deep (and I just need to tell a system something, I don't want
to do this for a living :)

> If you don't control the server you need to interact with and it
> publishes its data using SOAP/Web Services, then you probably have to
> use SOAP/Web Services. If that's the case, then get the WSDL from the
> server (it looks like you've got a URL that points to the WSDL that
> you can just point a browser to to get the WSDL. Once you've got the
> WSDL then look it over and do some research to figure out what it
> wants you to do -- there's really no other way. Whoever publishes the
> server can likely help you.
>
> Once you understand how the web service works, you can probably
> figure out the ruby classes without much documentation --

I got the wsdl. I looked at it (again) and noticed something I hadn't
realized before: the array is the sole field of a ComplexType.

For Ruby that means I need to wrap the array with my observations into a
Struct. And behold! that works.

>> Does ruby allow me to query it?
>>
>> What is a SOAPArray? a SOAPStruct? playing with it gives me worse
>> results, but how can I know which ruby classes match the wsdl
>> description? Is it built for me? How?
>
> I wish I could answer these. Sorry, but my knowledge is primarily
> from the Java world -- I've not used web services with Ruby yet. I
> know how to understand the XML and the data on the wire, but the ruby
> classes are beyond what I know currently... Sorry!

Your help is appreciated :)

Even though my problem is solved, the question about SOAPArray and
SOAPStruct remains. Anyone?

|  all the meaningless and empty words I spoke        |
|                       Promises -- The Cranberries   |
+--- M38c --- http://members.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+