On 03/11/05, Peter Hickman <peter / semantico.com> wrote:
> Certification tends to get pushed as a 'good thing' by people selling
> certification or by programmers who don't have the skills. There are
> companies who will certify Perl programmers, which was news to myself
> and many, many Perl programmers. None of whom are certified.

I agree. I think the best way to know a language is to have a little
search around on the internet and find a good book... then practice
practice practice. A good programmer should be able to change from one
language to another with very little effort, I think its very possible
to learn a language by looking at some programming cookbook examples.

However, if someone is very new to programming then Ruby is quite a
nice/easy language to learn, and so beginners may want to learn
programming concepts with Ruby... a course/certification may be good
for them.

Also, in my opinion, i think people should be certified on programming
concepts, such as Agile and Web Application Programming. Certificates
could say: "Certified in Agile and Web Application Programming", the
course that they are on could then teach Ruby (or J2EE or other).

I guess you could say I see both good and bad parts in certification.

Daniel.