On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Christophe Grandsire wrote:

> Selon Hugh Sasse <hgs / dmu.ac.uk>:
>

> > I thought you meant "Shaking Stevens" for a minute! I know it was
> > Shakespearian in origin, but didn't know about the French and Latin
> > roots.  Makes one wonder about "petition"...
> > >

> It does come from Latin through French too, but luckily it doesn't have the same

I should have put a smiley there :-)

> Latin root ;) . In this case, the root is the Latin verb petere: to ask, to

:-)  "simon, I shall call you Peter, because you will be asked a
question three times..." :-)  [Yes, I know it was Petrus]

> request. Yeah, I know it's disappointing ;) .
>
> See: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=petition
> --
> Christophe Grandsire.
>
> http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr
>
> It takes a straight mind to create a twisted conlang.

And I was thinking of the latin contribution to Esperanto, but then
peteri would be to ask part of a question :-)  Well, possibly only
to the extent that litero should be part of a bed!

        Hugh