>> using REBOL for six years I would like to ask if anyone
>> could give a brief summary of what's the difference
>> between Ruby and REBOL.
>
>i think the main difference you're going to find is the abundance of
>documentation for ruby.
>
>the docs for rebol are few and horrendous. the above example i wrote
>when i first got into rebol but  "system/script/args" took me four
>hours to find. i had to comb through the rebol script library. before
>i found the example. i've owned the official rebol guide for a few
>years, but other than simple documentation lookups, the guide is
>pretty much useless. 'ruby in a nutshell' holds more ruby information
>in a 200 pages than the rebol guide does for rebol in 700+ pages.

I agree that the documentation for REBOL at the moment is a
weak point. At the REBOL DevCon 2005 last month this was one
of the top priorities. Another one was to attract more users,
which I think goes hand in hand. Lack of documentation will
scare many people away. If the documentation was good, maybe
the syntax didn't have to feel "quirky".

>if it weren't for the rebol mailing list and script library i would
>have probably given up on rebol a long time ago...

The mailing list is full of helpful people and has helped me
many times. As you say the script library is also good and you
also have AltME (http://www.altme.com) as well.

Personally I use REBOL for many daily tasks and I find new
things almost every day and is more and more impressed by
REBOL and its way to solve things. Ruby seems to have a lot
of neat things as well but I haven't used it more than a
short time yet. Always nice to learn more language though.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson