gwtmp01 / mac.com wrote:

> My bad. But that doesn't mean anything other than swapping the
> two cases.  You still don't need any new syntax or special objects
> to do what was suggested.  Although I can't really see the
> usefulness of sprinkling  respond_to? checks everywhere just to
> suppress the evaluation of a Proc-like object.
>
> The other example of using a proxy object to carry around
> a computation and to detect when a method is sent to the
> not-yet-computed value is more interesting, but also doesn't require
> any changes to Ruby.

Yes it is, but not as an actual implementation. Once again Ruby proves
it's ability to pull rabbits out of hats ;) And while that's plenty
cool, this implemenation using delgate is terribly inefficent.  Yet
applying it's idea of not evaluating until the result is actually
needed is indeed of interest in application to the idea I've suggested.

T.