> One important difference is that the SOAP packets in the two examples are using
> different "Soap Styles". Specifically, what you're seeing on the wire (and what
> you want) is Document-style. The example that you dumped showed a SOAP packet
> that is using Soap Encoding for the XML (i.e., or more specifically, it uses
> RPC/Encoded rather than the Doc/Literal style you are looking for).

Am I looking at different defaults (yuck) or is the wsdl setting this?

[snip direct & soap encoding code fragments]

> You can see where you dump the xml that you specify RPC/Encoded style:
>
>> client = SOAP::WSDLDriverFactory.new(wsdl_url).create_rpc_driver
>
> See how you're specifying to create an RPC driver (using "create_rpc_driver")?

RPC == remote procedure call (playing advocate of the devil here) what
does that say about encoding? to my uneducated mind, it says nothing
(Ruby Drb does rpc as well; I have a module in my kernel called sunrpc)

No, I don't know soap.

> One of the first steps is to figure out how to dump a version of the soap
> envelope that uses Document/Literal rather than the RPC/Encoded for your SOAP.
> I'd begin by looking to see if there's something like:
>
> client = SOAP::WSDLDriverFactory.new(wsdl_url).create_doc_driver
>
> If not, look through the documentation to see how to specify Doc/Literal
> encoding.

"the documentation" ?
I found absolutely no documentation concerning ruby/soap.
I found example code for trivial stuff, so I'm happy I got *something*
across the wire without an error.

I think I want "direct", not soap envelope.

> I'm not sure where to go from there, but I think understanding the SOAP encoding
> style you need to send should be your first step. I'd also review the WSDL of
> the service you're trying to invoke to see what it expects as well -- it would
> probably require either one or the other of RPC/Encoded or Doc/Literal. You
> need to make sure you using the correct style before trying to invokde the
> service.

Does ruby allow me to query it?

What is a SOAPArray? a SOAPStruct? playing with it gives me worse
results, but how can I know which ruby classes match the wsdl
description? Is it built for me? How?

|  all the meaningless and empty words I spoke        |
|                       Promises -- The Cranberries   |
+--- M38c --- http://members.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+