On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Jim Crigler wrote:

> I installed Rails to tinker with on my FreeBSD 4 box.  Because of
> the waythe FreeBSD port (FBSD's term for installable applications)
> of Rails works, rubygesms got installed with it.  So far, so good.
> I can do all the rails stuff I expect to be able to do, use
> tutorials, start prototyping my application, etc.
>
> When I heard about the Nitro and had explored the documentation
> (what there is of it), I decided to give it a try.  So, because
> there is no FreeBSD port for Nitro yet, I entered (as root)
>
>    gem install --rdoc -y nitro
>
> and a few minutes later all was set up.  However, the paths
> or something are not set correctly.  As an example, I tried
> to start at the very beginning (a very good place to start,
> I'm told), with the command
>
>    nitrogen app myapp
>
> and I discovered that neither nitro nor nitrogen was not in
> my path (the way all the rails paraphenalia was).  Okay, it time
> to start investigating.  So I read up on rubygems in PickAxe 2,
> and I discovered that a few settings may be needed.  Next
> iteration:
>
>    ruby -rubygems -e 'require_gem("nitro"); load("nitrogen")' app
> myapp

the fact that this works, but the above does not, means that the stub has been
squireled away someplace that is not in your path.  for instance, you might
have ruby installed as

   /usr/local/ruby-1.8.2/bin/ruby

and a link like

   /usr/local/bin/ruby -> /usr/local/ruby-1.8.2/bin/ruby

in this case any gem stubs would get installed into

   /usr/local/ruby-1.8.2/bin/

which is not in your path.  i had this happen on my machine and beleive gems
to determine the path to ruby using Pathname::realpath(`which ruby`).dirname.
i have a patched gems which does this and installs correctly.  this might not
be your problem though.

> I got several (more than 25) warnings about '&' and '*' being
> interpreted in some way (as an operators?) then an error message
> (that I don't remember at the moment --- I can post it tonight
> if there's a need and no one has the magic bullet for this).
>
> I suspect is the problem is in the way FreeBSD treats gems that
> *are* ports vs. gem installation of things that *aren't* ports.
> I was hoping someone here might have already blazed the trail
> and I just didn't pick up the signs.

this could all be caused by having two versions of ruby.

you should look into whether or not you have two ruby versions installed, what
the difference between your path and root's path are, and if your ruby is a
link.

-a